Friday, August 15, 2014

The Stars Aligned

I know what you might be thinking. I’ll get started/re-started when:

I have more money
I have more time
The kids are back in school
I’ve gotten a few pounds off first
I can work out around other people without feeling embarrassed
I get back from vacation
I survive the eating temptations from that upcoming party
Etc
Etc
Etc

I would like to remind you of something: the stars will never perfectly align for you.

Don’t get me wrong. They may fall into place temporarily, giving you a glimpse of relief. Maybe, just maybe, you’ll actually get something started.

And then (cue ominous music)…life happens.

You get a bad night’s sleep
The scale doesn’t move at the rate you like
Your bonus check wasn’t as big as you had hoped
The kids get an unexpected snow day
You ate the cake you swore you wouldn’t touch, leading to the chips, and the cheese, etc.

Funny how easily we get derailed, right?

Allow me to take a slight detour with this…

The last few weeks of my workouts have been some of the hardest I’ve ever endured. They will only get harder with time as the cycle I’m on invariably must progress. More often than not, I find myself “almost” talking myself out of them.

Imagine that, a guy who makes his living from fitness who doesn’t relish every moment of lifting a weight?

Fact of the matter is: it’s damn hard.  But I get my head back into it, commit to the work that has to be done, lift the $%&#@ weight and then call it a day.

And really, that’s what I’m asking of you.

The results you want, in whatever manifestation they have, will not be accomplished without you being “in it”.

The exercise (for those of us with some semblance of sanity left) isn’t really the fun part. It’s hard. You might sweat. Your heart rate may elevate.

The food is ridiculously agonizing to dial in and behave with. In many cases, it can be so boring and redundant that it borderlines on painful.

But wherever you are, there is an end to meet.

I don’t fancy myself as the aggressive “Push Harder” type. However, I know there has to be a fire somewhere to not only start you but to keep you honest.

So, if you’re waiting for the stars to align, the heavens to part, angels to sing and a fluttery breeze to blow which signals your call to action…please don’t hold your breath.

There’s work to be done. And we’re here to help you do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment