Tuesday, November 4, 2014

A Tale Of Two "Losers"

A couple of years ago, I would routinely document the journey of a client's weight loss here at RevFit. It was a way to remind readers of the realities (sometimes positive, sometimes not) of trying to lose weight. I always enjoyed reminiscing over how vastly different each person could be. Even now, as the pounds keep coming off and the word continues to spread about what we're doing here, I think it's amazing how very unique each person can be.

So as a way of ushering back in the real-life stories of clients here, I thought I would take a slightly different approach to a couple of guys who recently saw weight loss success here. Rather than tell the full story simply from my point of view, I set this up as an interview. Each client had the opportunity to answer the same questions and neither has seen the responses of the other (although they are aware each was put to the task!)

Before we get into the responses, allow me to give a short back story for each. Mark (a RevFit client for over 3 years), decided a few months ago to crack down on his goals. As he began to lose weight, he caught the attention of Jason (a RevFit client since January 2014) who got encouraged by Mark's initiative and engaged in some competitive weight-loss together. As a reference point, Mark's answers were given before his son's wedding (which was Sept. 6) and Jason's family has been in the midst of both selling their current home and buying a new one. In addition, Jason will reference my upcoming wedding as well!

What you'll read below are some insights from each (Mark first, Jason second) about how this all came to pass:

First, can you give our readers a little background on yourself (age, pertinent health history, what led you to RevFit initially) 

MARK: I am 64 years old, with a history of stroke and hypertension, and I was introduced to RevFit by my wife, Debbie. She was preparing for a long stay in LA and she dedicated herself accordingly.

JASON: Let’s see...I’m 39 years old. Prior to starting at Revolution Fitness, I was overweight, had High Blood Pressure, and borderline High Cholesterol. I was fairly healthy outside of that, meaning I rarely got sick. Up until two years ago, my lifestyle was always on the go, working 60+ hour weeks and traveling more than I would have chosen. With the travel came lots of restaurants and eating on the road, usually paired with a fair amount of drinking. When I was actually home, I spent my remaining time trying to be with my family. But I got to the point where I couldn't rationalize that lifestyle anymore. I was missing the things that mattered, and I wasn’t interested in doing that any longer. I left that job, and worked better balance into my life. I slowed down a little, rebuilt a relationship with my family, started working out, and started eating better. My stress level is at a long time low. And my life is both different and better now.

Recently, you decided to get more aggressive with your weight loss. What instigated that decision? 

MARK: There was a combination of things going on personally, sort of a perfect storm of issues, and I allowed it to be an excuse to resume bad eating habits and less than attentive exercise goals. Primarily, however, is my son’s wedding next month. I thought it important to improve my overall health for that event. Also important in this recent change is the recognition that I want to be well for as long as possible. There are no retirement plans on the horizon so being fit and active will clearly be a big part of my continued career.

JASON: I have a fairly competitive spirit. So I set a goal for myself to see if I could hit my target weight by Jason’s wedding. And jokingly, I have to beat Mark. But that is just a fun side incentive. The primary reason is that there is a concrete date, and concrete weight I want to hit. It isn’t just an ongoing effort with no end in sight.

What do you think has helped you this time around in keeping you committed to your goals? 

MARK: I was tired of nagging injuries and discomfort. Old sports related injuries teaming up with newly diagnosed injuries made for uncomfortable days and nights. Most importantly, I wanted to do this for my son and my wife so they can benefit from my improved health. But I cannot ignore the, let’s say “encouragement”, from Jason and other visitors to RevFit.

JASON: To be fair, I haven’t been great for the last week or so because of all the work and house stuff. Just haven't been home to eat, or couldn’t mess up the house for showings. With that being said, things are slowing down a little, and now I’m back at it. I’d probably let it slide longer, but I’m going down swinging to hit my goal by the wedding. Of course if I can beat Mark in the process, well that’s just all the better!

A lot of people may believe it's too late for them to start a weight-loss regimen or a strength-training program because of their age or medical history. What advice would you give someone who might have doubts or be on the fence about a lifestyle change? 

MARK: Back in the day there was an adage that summed things up: “if it feels good, do it!” Nike corrupted that with “just do it!” but the idea remains the same. There are no pills or overnight solutions to years of improper food intake combined with lack of activity. By expending more calories than one takes in, being mindful of the form of the calorie intake and learning not to be too disappointed too soon are some of the things I’ve learned to keep in mind. How will you know if you don’t try?
JASON: My life has truly changed over the past few years. I’ve started putting family before career and experiences over things. I’ve started taking care of myself, and the combination of it all has put me in a place where I feel really good. As A result, I'm truly enjoying the time I spend with my family. How can you argue with that?

It bears stating that Jason lost 27lbs in approximately 4 months. Mark lost 22lbs in 2 months. Whoever said it's never too late was right!

We're here to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment